Hi there, what systems will HQ be released for on completion?
A downloadable game
This is a fan remake of the classic 1989 board game Hero Quest, built using Unity.
Hero Quest is a turn based board game that sees four heroes attempting to complete various quests in dungeons filled with monsters controlled by the evil wizard Morcar.
The current version of the game includes:
- All four heroes; Barbarian, Dwarf, Elf and Wizard.
- All monster types from the first quest; Goblins, Orcs, Fimirs, Zombies, Mummys, Skeletons, Chaos Warriors and the Gargoyle.
- In game sprites have all been created using photos of the original board game.
- Fight your enemies in combat, search for treasure and cast spells.
What isn't yet in the game:
- A.I.: Currently you'll have to play as both the heroes and the dungeon master Morcar, or better yet play with a friend and take turns!
- Traps and secret doors.
- Audio/music (your speakers are working fine).
- Different weapons or the ability to spend gold.
- The ability to save progress.
All game interactions are via the mouse except you can hit the escape key to exit the game or the 'H' key to toggle furniture transparency if you can't see past items like bookcases. You can zoom in/out with the mouse scroll wheel and move the camera around by holding down the right mouse button.
This is still very much a work in progress but I would love to hear your feedback! If after playing the game you would take a few minutes to fill out a short survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/F8K955N I would be forever grateful.
Please note: Hero Quest and all it's graphics and designs are copyright 1989 Milton Bradley.
Download and unzip then double click on Hero_Quest.exe. This version will only run on Windows.
Please note: This game is only designed to be played at 1920 x 1080 resolution. The zip file Hero_Quest will run the game automatically at full screen at this resolution. If the game is not displaying properly you may try the version Hero_Quest_res_dialog.zip which starts with an option to choose resolution/run in windowed mode. I have not tested this game at different resolutions, your mileage may vary!
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.
Hi, thanks for getting in touch! This is just a fan project as obviously Hero Quest is an existing IP, so there will be no real 'release'. At the moment I'm only making it for Windows but I'd be open to trying to get it working on other systems as well. Was there a system in particular you were interested in?
Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to write. In a future version I'll try and get the UI set up to work at different resolutions. Do you mind if I ask what resolution your screen uses?