Hey Doc, I have been looking for this for so long. However Its a shame there are only 2 levels. The Rescue of Sir Ragnar is bugged though. Once I get to the bottom room I can not do anything. What are the chances of completing this game? If you need some cash I would be more than happy to throw some your way for your time in finishing the game.
A downloadable game
This is a fan remake of the classic 1989 board game Hero Quest, built using Unity.
Hero Quest is a turn based board game that sees four heroes attempting to complete various quests in dungeons filled with monsters controlled by the evil wizard Morcar.
The current version of the game includes:
- All four heroes; Barbarian, Dwarf, Elf and Wizard.
- All monster types from the first two quests; Goblins, Orcs, Fimirs, Zombies, Mummys, Skeletons, Chaos Warriors and the Gargoyle.
- In game sprites have all been created using photos of the original board game.
- Fight your enemies in combat, search for treasure and cast spells.
- A.I.: Play as the heroes against dungeon master Morcar who controls all monsters in the game.
- Save system: Create named heroes who will persist between games (auto saved locally, also saves items and gold between games).
- Armoury system: You can now use gold earned from quests to purchase weapons and armour to increase the strength of your heroes on their quests (also saved between sessions).
- Improved UI from original release: New menu system and improved UI graphics.
- Secret doors: You can now search for and use secret doors.
- New quest: Players can now choose to play the second quest in the game; The Rescue of Sir Ragnar, in addition to the original quest The Trial.
What isn't yet in the game:
- Audio/music (your speakers are working fine).
- Different resolutions (only 1920 x 1080 will work)
- Quests beyond the first two from the original Hero Quest game
- The ability to pass items between players during a game
All game interactions are via the mouse (scroll in/out with the scroll wheel and move the camera around by holding down the right mouse button) except you can hit the escape key to bring up the pause menu or exit the game, or press the 'H' key to toggle furniture transparency if you can't see past items like bookcases.
This is purely a fan project and learning experience and you will likely encounter bugs which I apologize for. Feel free to contact me if you do find any. In particular there is a known bug where if you switch between quests in the same play session (i.e. start quest 1, quit to the main menu and start quest 2) it won't properly remember your heroes/gold. I advise quitting and relaunching the game itself between quests. I have not added support for any resolutions other than 1920 x 1080 (something I will definitely integrate from the start on my next project!).
If after playing the game you would take a few minutes to fill out a short survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/F8K955N I would be forever grateful. Also feel free to give me a follow on Facebook (Dr Ninja), Instagram (@iamdoctorninja), Twitter (@andrew_mendlik) or get in touch via email through andrewmendlik at gmail dot com.
Please note: Hero Quest and all it's graphics and designs are copyright 1989 Milton Bradley.
Download and unzip then double click on Hero_Quest_v2.exe. The folder Hero_Quest_v2_Data must be in the same location as Hero_Quest_v2.exe. This version will only run on Windows.
Please note: This game is only designed to be played at 1920 x 1080 resolution. The zip file Hero_Quest will run the game automatically at full screen at this resolution. I apologize if you are using a different resolution and the game does not work for you.
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Hi there, thanks for playing! At this stage I have no plans to finish the game unfortunately. I would love to revisit it in the future though.
While I appreciate the offer to pay for the game I do not have permission by the people that own the IP for the game, so I’m very deliberately not asking for money. This was just a fan project which was a great leaning experience. :)
aw bumma, that's a shame. Well good job anyway. Was it hard to do? I ask because I would like to create exactly what you have done there. I have 9 actual copies of Hero Quest, a couple of Advanced Hero Quest and all the expansions including Barbarian, elf and wizard expansion and I would love to do what you have done only with all the expansions. Any chance of pointing me in the right direction?
Thanks. :) I guess hard is a relative term? It was the second game I'd worked on and there was a lot to learn at the time that might not take as long if I did it now. I worked on it pretty solidly in my free time over I think 6 months or so? I actually had to borrow a copy of Hero Quest from someone local, I haven't owned a copy for a long time! Do you have any experience in game development at all?
absolutely zero experience in game development. I do however have a good mate who does so he would be doing all the hard work really. Was it a particular program you used or did you have to write all the code yourself?
Hi there, any chance to take a peek at the code?
Love it! Thanks for sharing. I hope the comments in the survey are useful. Meant to say... if you run out of steam and feel the need for a fellow Unity developer to help out or do some testing. Do ask.
Hi there, what systems will HQ be released for on completion?
Hi, thanks for getting in touch! This is just a fan project as obviously Hero Quest is an existing IP, so there will be no real 'release'. At the moment I'm only making it for Windows but I'd be open to trying to get it working on other systems as well. Was there a system in particular you were interested in?
Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to write. In a future version I'll try and get the UI set up to work at different resolutions. Do you mind if I ask what resolution your screen uses?